Tuesday 19 April 2011

Post 20: Final Products

Short Film Final Product - Karma
After planning, filming and editing this was the final outcome of the group's short film named Karma.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The sound is out of sync with the action due to a fault of YouTube. The size of the screen has also changed from 16:9 to 4:3 since being uploaded to YouTube. Short film has been sent to exam board in a different format.

Postcard
After looking at film posters and short film postcards I was able to take note of all the conventions and used most of them in my own postcard. I realised the importance of using postcards for short films and the impact it can have on the success of one. In total I created five different designs, ensuring I used as many postcard conventions as possible. After asking a selection of my target audience the feedback for design three and five got the most praise. I decided in the end to chose the front design used in postcard three as I felt this used the most conventions out of the five. I felt the back to design three however did not use many of the conventions I found on previous back designs. In the end I opted for the back design for my fifth postcard design. This is because it gained good reviews from my audience when questioning.

I choose the front design of postcard three not only because of the positive feedback but I felt it showed what our film was about and more importantly included an image of our protagonist. The first few drafts I created were initially in black and white however I decided it made the postcard look dull and boring. After choosing to have the colour in my postcard I felt it was right to keep the writing a neutral white. In my view it made the writing stand out ensuring it didn't look out of place. In my design I did design the writing to be a purple colour however after playing around with the writings colour opted with white.

For the back design I tried to use as many conventions as possible. The top left hand corner was used for all the core details on the film including name, the message, director and year. These were all conventions used on the majority of the postcards I viewed earlier on when researching. This is why I felt it was important to include these in my work. The section below is made for information to be written in for film festivals to give to an audience for information. The credits, cast and a website link were conventions also used in virtually all the postcards I looked at. I felt it was important to put these in because professionals who view this short film will be able to see who was also involved in the creation. The space on the right hand side of the back has been left blank for any writing. I thought the space can be filled with writing to an audience member specifically or space for feedback to be written from the audience. After creating several copies of a back design with different coloured backgrounds I decided to go for the grey-blue. This is because I felt it was a neutral colour once again fitting perfectly with the front design. 

Front Design
Back Design

Short Film Review Page
The film review page took time to research into, however after learning valuable information before hand I was able to create a review page with many conventions. After researching into magazines, newspapers and website reviews on films I deciding to use the conventions and layout of a magazine review. The magazine I looked at was Sight & Sound. I looked at their review pages on short films taking notes on one of the short film reviews Frozen. Many of the conventions written down in my notes I used for my own review page hoping to make it look as authentic as possible.

My main target when I started to create my film review page was to ensure the Karma review was the main focus of the page. Using a convention used in all of the other reviews I decided the picture needed to be large and have colour. This was the bait to draw in the audience to this review first. The picture captures what our film revolves around and that is our protagonist and the location of the alley way. Other conventions I used included the description of the film which explained the key details about the short film. I chose to put this before the main writing because it gives the audience a quick bit of knowledge about Karma. I chose the 15 certificate after looking at other short film reviews and what they had. The swearing at the beginning for me was one of the main factors to making it a 15. I felt it could have been made a 12 but after looking at other review ratings decided to stick with the 15 certificate I gave it.

In the detailed writing I followed my notes on the Frozen article bullet pointing what was in each paragraph. I felt this was conventional and made it easy to follow. I wanted to make it easy to follow because our short film is aimed at teenagers so I wanted to make it speak to them. The three other reviews on the right hand side were ones I found on the Sight and Sound website incorporating them into my own keeping my original layout. They are all real short film reviews which fitted in with the title of the page 'short film review page special'. This made the final outcome more of a review page.



No comments:

Post a Comment